8.11.2009

Things I Loathe: Part 5

*Cue the dramatic music* This is the last segment of "Things I Loathe." Peek in later this week for the first of my "Things I Adore" series.

Tonight I will be blogging about Agency Slogans. You see them at almost every advertising agency, and some of them are just plain horrible. In this post I will review a few and tell you why I think they are missing the mark.

Blueliner- "Acting outside the box"
Oh I get it!! There's a box that contains all the other agencies, and you're on the outside! Sharp. Cliches can backfire, and I feel this one doesn't do Blueliner any favors. They are smart, savvy Internet ad men who are at the top of their game, yet they use an arcane expression? That doesn't make any sense. I would go with something more progressive and tech-based. Something like "Experts in Cyberspace Navigation" or "ROI- Redefining Online Integration." Something clever.

Young & Rubicam- "Resist the Usual"
What!? Oh, you're creative. Why didn't you say so? I thought you only created advertising for companies run by aliens or the mentally challenged. Yes, I know Y&R is a top-shelf agency... but their tag line still stinks. It doesn't say "We're creative" it says "We're strange...or you're strange..either way, someone better be weird or we won't work." Isn't advertising supposed to reach 'normal' people? It sounds like you're limiting viewership from the start. How about "Big Apple-sized Ideas" or "We are aliens" (the second one would definitely set you apart). Y&R's tag line sounds contrived...trying too hard. Nobody likes that.

AD Lubow Advertising
- "Advertising that moves people"
What are you saying? Really. I should run your site through the BS checker program from the last post. Your slogan means nothing. Not a thing. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy for about five seconds and then you realize that it said nothing. Empty words designed to make you feel good about AD Lubow. But it fades. Fast. Go for genuine impact, people. Try "Advertising that stuns" or "Water-cooler Worthy Creative." At least those statements have meaning.

I could go on for hours, but let me finish with this:
Slogans should be as creative, real and persuasive as you are. If your slogan is weak, then you look weak.

No comments: